Education and Career Guidance
What is Education and Career Guidance (ECG)?
Education and Career Guidance (ECG) helps students make decisions based on their interests, abilities and passion, while considering current and future career opportunities. The students are encouraged to learn more about the world of work across different industries, and take positive steps to achieve their aspirations.
Why is ECG important?
ECG plays a critical role in preparing students for the world of work by preparing them with the skills to stay relevant in the global economy and lead purposeful lives. Research has shown that ECG programmes can help students make good education and career decisions, and positively impact their academic performance and well-being.
What are the goals of ECG?
ECG encourages our students to develop aspirations and plan proactively for their future.
The goals of ECG are to:
- Nurture students’ self-awareness, self-directedness and life skills to set viable goals, learn continually and value-add to their future workplace;
- Help students explore and make informed decisions on education and career pathways;
- Inculcate an appreciation for all types of careers and how they contribute to the well-functioning of society; and
- Equip students with skills and means to positively engage their parents and other career influencers.
What is our approach to ECG?
(A) ECG is based on the ECG Developmental Model
The ECG Developmental Model is a framework that guides schools in coming up with developmentally appropriate activities for students from primary to post-secondary school levels. The model shows education and career development as a process that takes place over one’s life span, with three progressive phases: Career Awareness, Career Exploration and Career Planning.
Developing self-identity is foundational to all three phases. The process of discovering one’s identity involves clarification of interests and values, understanding one’s strengths, developing abilities, and formulating life roles in the context of one’s life experiences. All these work towards building social emotional competencies that help students become proactive, resilient and adaptable.
To meet students’ developmental needs, the ECG curriculum emphasises different aspects as the students progress from primary to post-secondary school levels.
- B) ECG has different emphasis at different levels
Secondary School Emphasis: Career Exploration
Goal: To deepen students’ understanding of self and relate schooling to different education and career pathways. Students would:
- explore the career world.
- understand the relevant courses of study.
- develop awareness of their skills, interests and values.
Upper / Post Secondary Emphasis: Career Planning
Goal: To enable students to gather information from various sources to make informed educational and career decisions. Students would learn to:
- clarify their career self-concept.
- develop skills in gathering information.
- develop decision-making skills.
- C) ECG is delivered through a tiered structure
ECG Curriculum Delivery in BGSS
|Sec 1||Sec 2||Sec 3||Sec 4 and 5|
|Career Awareness– ECG lessons, profiling workshops, subject awareness talk and Experience ITE programme for 2NT|
|Career Exploration– ECG lessons, Work attachment programme, AEM, EM, Career Guidance Day, polytechnic and ITE visits|
|Career Planning – ECG lessons, talks conducted by ITE and polytechnics on DPP, DPA,PFP|
What is MySkillsFuture portal?
MySkillsFuture is a one-stop portal that empowers you to embark on a journey of self-discovery and make informed education and career choices.
Read the ECG Brochure by clicking on the links below:
Useful websites and links
1.Singapore Educational Landscape for students
- More information on JC/Polytechnic/ITE entry requirements for O level students from
– Summary sheet for 4Exp and 5NA
– JAE booklet
- More information on Polytechnic /Higher Nitec/ Sec 5 entry requirements for 4NA students from
– Summary sheet for 4NA
– JIE booklet
- More information on Nitec entry requirements for 4NT students from
– Summary slides for 4NT
– JIE booklet